Attention all Veterans. Registration for the Quickens Loans 400 race at the Michigan International Speedway of Sunday June 14, 2015 is currently closed for new requests. If would like to be put on a waiting list or be included in the registration for tickets for the fall Michigan International Speedway race (if provided), please fill out the registration form for you and your family.
Don’t miss the free 2015 Tips-Up for the Troops Bass Tournament and Brain Injury Family & Friends Awareness event! The day will feature a family style reunion for all our friends and supporters. It is an enormous opportunity to say “Thank you” to Veterans and learn about Invisible Wounds. While the troops are tackling the bass on the lake, attendees can enjoy the Entertainment, Volleyball Tournament, Classic Car Show, Family Fun Walk and the Eisenhower Center’s All American BBQ. Please see the attached flyers which include a timeline of the days events and individual and sponsor registration forms.
Where: Kensington Metro Park East Park Pavillion, Milford, MI
Over the past month Camp Liberty has held Conservation Days on April 25th and May 9th. Both events were highly successful, accomplishing all of the tasks and goals that we had set for these efforts. While there were predictions for rain on both days, we were blessed with great weather. More than 40 volunteers contributed their time and talents to:
- Plant 100 evergreen seedlings that will provide weather protection and shelter for wildlife
- Plant 75 berry bushes that will provide winter food for rabbits, turkey and pheasants.
- Plant 26 new fruit trees, and cared for the 53 fruit trees planted last year, these will provide food wildlife and people participating in Camp Liberty’s programs.
- Plant 25 oak trees, that will grow to provide food and shelter for deer, and help us now qualify for a conservation grant.
- Erected a 10’ x 20’ temporary garage, which will provide us with a shelter for our equipment and building supplies until a permanent storage building can be built.
- Clear numerous downed trees and brush from the entrance road and around the perimeter of our prairie grass fields. Over 160 cubic yards of wood and debris were removed by the Chain Saw Brigade
- Build six large brush piles with wood and brush that had been cleared from the other areas. These brush piles were strategically placed near food sources and other cover to provide shelter for birds, pheasants and rabbits.
These events were a major success and we thank all the volunteers who came out and gave their time. Pictures from the May 9th event can be found HERE.
There is still much work to do and the plan is to hold major volunteer days on a monthly basis. We will try and post volunteer events timely, so please check back regularly for updates.
Camp Liberty is seeking veterans for membership in the organization’s search and rescue team. Initial resources will be devoted to the disciplines of K-9 Search and Rescue and Basic Ground Search capabilities with the ability to expand to more advanced facets of search and rescue as the team grows. Previous search and rescue training is not a prerequisite. Whether your interest is limited to base camp support or working in the wilderness with your K-9 partner, all you need to bring is a desire to be a part of a team that searches for the lost, rescues the missing, and recovers those who need to come home.
UPDATE: The Liberty Search and Rescue event has been temporarily postponed. We may be rescheduling the meeting in the near future. Please check back for updates.